Monday, January 6, 2025

Favorite of the Favorites: It's A Whimsical Wicked Winter!




Welcome to Meet Me In The Lobby, where I will discuss my Favorite of the Favorites that I watched from the month of December 2024!

Here are some of my favorite movies from the last month...

- A Town Called Panic (2009)
- Wicked (2024)
- Nickel Boys (2024)
- Emilia Perez (2024)

Here are my ratings for these films: Letterboxd (Follow me and I will follow you back! 😁)

You can watch these films on Netflix, Kanopy, Fandango at Home, or in theatres!

But the film I'll be discussing is Wicked (2024)! Before seeing the film, I had some idea of what it was about. I knew it had to be set in Oz and revolve around the witches from The Wizard of Oz. I really wanted to walk into this film blind and not know anything about the storyline. I ignored any reviews, spoilers, and trailers that revealed too much! As the screening date neared, I was so successful that I informed my family I didn't want to hear anything about the film! 😫

So, what are my feelings about this film? Well, this was a complete masterpiece! After seeing that, I felt inspired! It was a very touching piece, especially towards the end; here is my honest review on Letterboxd: 


This was one of the most intricate films I've seen in a long time! The singing and acting were excellent, as was the sound, make-up, costumes, choreography, cinematography, and overall production quality. If I were to consider the film's message, I feel it would cover a wide range of topics with which audiences may identify.

Also, I spoke with a puppeteer in Los Angeles, who highlighted how much puppetry there was in this production. From shadow puppetry, to toy theatre, and large-scale puppets, it was incredible the array of puppetry styles the director used to tell the story! This touch added a quirky element to the film's aesthetic.

Some Letterboxd reviews expressed that they disliked the CGI. I understand from that perspective, but everything else overshadowed that. The filmmaker wonderfully captured the essence of combining the theater culture with the film culture, and if you enjoy musicals or Wicked on Broadway, this is the film for you! In the larger scheme of things, I'd say this film took me on a journey, and I'm looking forward to Part II.


In the meantime, I will see you next time in the lobby!

✌Kelsey Faamausili
Letterboxd: @kelsey_mf




No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Soon... To A Theater Near You!

It's June, and my theater-going adventures have been delayed because this month had other plans. Life has been a little tight financial...